The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze (2001)

 

Genre: Family/ Adventure

Time: 1h 16mins

Director: Charles Grosvenor

Quick Summary: Snow falls in the Great Valley for the first time, puzzling and enchanting everyone. The friends search for Spike after he leaves to search for his family.


Man, I was surprised to see Ducky being the bitchy one for once.

This one surprised me a lot to be honest, as firstly it focuses on Ducky and Spike. Ducky acts really horrible towards Spike just because he snores at night, which to me is ridiculous. Maybe she's been getting attitude lessons from Cera. At the same Spike finally meets another Dinosaur family like him, which obviously really makes him excited and want to spend time with them. It becomes a weird cycle as Ducky gets more and more irritated with Spike spending less time with her. Honestly, it's a bit weird to me to be jealous about this, because if Spike was really family to her she would be happy he's found people to relate to. Spike is obviously oblivious to this. I don't think he registers anything anyway. 

Really, this is a lot of fighting and bickering for a good portion. It feels like everyone is mad at each other for some bizarre reason. Ducky being made at Spike is completely uncalled for. But as soon as the snow stops, they all stop fighting so they can all play together. How sweet.

Honestly, it was pretty adorable watching them play in the snow together. I wouldn't have minded if most of the film was them doing various shenanigans while in the snow, but no they had to make it an issue to cause more fighting. And guess whose at the root of it. Cera's father. No surprise there. He gets racist yet again, demanding the Spiketails leave because this time they're the ones who eat too much food. This causes a bit of an emotional choice for Spike and Ducky and it gets so wholesome by the end of it. I may have cried a little bit. 

Again I was surprised by this as it wasn't as comical as the rest have been. There was barely any forced jokes or slapstick, and I loved it. I wish they kept it that way.


5/10


"Littlefoot: I like the way ground sparkles"

Comments