The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock (1998)

 

Genre: Family/ Adventure

Time: 1h 17mins

Director: Charles Grosvenor

Quick Summary: Grandpa tells Littlefoot about their mythical hero called the Lone Dinosaur. Sarah gets two little lively cousins to take care of. Later, the kids accidentally chip the lucky Saurus Rock, and need to fix it before the bad luck hits


Yeehaw.

Yeah, I have no idea why they chose this to be more Western but I loved it. I'm pretty sure they recoloured everything to be slightly more orange and brown, I guess to give that Western desert feel. Funnily enough, the only song I remembered was the country song they slapped in the beginning, which admittedly I really liked. Maybe these films are getting to me. 

In addition to this, we get another new character dubbed the Lone Dinosaur who is obviously created after the Lone Ranger, but I'm not complaining. Cold, distant and not open to long conversations. This guy was cool, and Littlefoot thought that too. It was so cute watching him imagine himself as the guy fighting off a Carnivore with ease and just interacting with him all stary-eyed. 

That said, that was the only thing I liked about this film.

I can't believe I'm saying this but this is the worst the art has looked. There are various bits where the style of drawings is slightly different, especially with the dinosaurs. I think Cera and Spike had the same sort of model as their main bodies looked extremely similar in some scenes. Half the time the dinosaurs' eyes were looking in two different directions which made a few funny pictures for my friends. You can also see in some of the photos I've placed where it is so obvious they didn't even bother with making the layering subtle, so you can clearly see which drawing is on top of the other.

I did not care in the slightest for Cera's nieces, Dana and Dianah. Imagine the most annoying toddlers that are constantly high-pitched, screaming or laughing as loud as they can, and are just infuriating to watch. If they weren't laughing, they were screaming and that is a sound I do not wish on my worst enemy. They're constantly babbling nonsense too, and by nonsense, I mean babbling sounds which I'm to assume are cute as they toddle about? Honestly, they gave me a headache after ten minutes. 

Because of these deafening dinos, Cera becomes more bossy because she has to look after them. Of course, toddlers do what toddlers do and never listen. So Cera kicks off and becomes more of a bitch to everyone in the group. Poor Littlefoot just wants to play Cowboy Dinos and here Cera is throwing a hissy because two babies aren't listening to her strict rules. 

I think I got bored by the middle of this one as I don't remember what happened to cause this, but the kids end up breaking a statue and believe they've caused bad luck on the valley. So what do they do? What they always do, is try to fix it. Low and Behold, Littlefoot ends up in danger and tries to fight a Carnivore like his hero did, but practically almost dies. His grandfather actually does something for once and saves the little guy. 

Petrie, Ducky, and Spike have been slowly pushed to the background where they chip in occasionally to make a joke or something else silly. Cera's dad is yet again racist to the Lone Dinosaur because he's a longneck too. 

Really I was waiting for this one to end. This is where the films start to feel a lot longer than one hour too, simply because not much happens in them and I believe they run out of things to pad the story out.


2/10


"Doc: This herd life's not for me. Too much talkin'."


Comments