Immaculate (2024)

 

Genre: Horror/ Mystery 

Time: 1h 30mins

Director: Michael Mohan

Quick Summary: Cecilia, a woman of devout faith, is warmly welcomed to the picture-perfect Italian countryside where she is offered a new role at an illustrious convent. But it becomes clear to Cecilia that her new home harbors dark and horrifying secrets.


So Syndey we want you to brutally scream into the camera for almost a minute straight. Make sure you stare it down too


My bad for expecting a horror film about a convent to be good. Genuinely it was okay, I did enjoy watching this, but not much goes on. It's the same Religious horror imagery and imagery that most films revolve around Christianity. Also, even though one jumpscare got me really good, mostly they're cheap and basically loud noises. It's 2024 I thought we were past this. If it wasn't for the ending being so out there and insane I wouldn't have liked it as much. Cover someone in blood and get them to scream in the camera; I'm sold.

I think what irritates me the most about this is that none of the story is really explored or explained. Fundamentally this story is so interesting. Everything just brushed past so quickly though. Like the woman that is shown at the start, why was she running, what happened to her and nobody mentions her during the entire runtime. How did the convent even start let alone get into getting into the twist that is revealed? I mean, how did Cecilia get pregnant is a question that will never get answered. 

Despite some beautiful cinematography and slightly more graphic violence than we typically get from mainstream religious horror, I felt like this was insanely generic. I cannot stress that enough because I was so disappointed by it. I think that is why I loved how creepy and Stunning it looked at times, as well as how gorey it was! I was not expecting it to be so violent and extreme when it came to it. Obviously, most of the effort and production went into those things, and less into the script and pacing. 

To top it off, we don't even get to see the damn Jesus baby and that really irritated me. After everything, it gets squished off-camera. Characters get introduced and then we never see them again too? 

The issue is, I went into thinking it was going to be a true sicko's film and was hyped to see some weird cult-type of things, but I actually got a bland, too scared to be out there, wasted potential film. It has its good points, but overall I feel disappointed by it. 


5/10

Comments