Free Time (2024)

 

Genre: Comedy

Time: 1h 20mins

Director: Ryan Martin Brown

Quick Summary: Approaching the end of his twenties and his relative youth, a man decides to quit his cushy desk job and embrace life, only to realize he has no idea what to do with this newfound freedom.


This was actually so painful to watch.

In fact, it reminded me of those cringe Millenial TikTok humour videos. They're so unfunny it hurts me. Imagine those put into a film. I found the occasional moment funny, and by funny I mean a little chuckle came out of me. Am I supposed to find two people walking around in silence funny? Sure, when it's done right. 

I think the main fault is the main guy. He was such a loser, and honestly an asshole. I found it so hard to sympathise with this guy because he was trying so hard to be seen, like a little child. Either moping around, ringing literally everyone he knows because he's bored, or playing over the top his entire band and then throwing an adult tantrum expecting people to pity him. Which I did find funny because they all just ignore him as he's waving his arms around being like "I'M LEAVING NOW", then proceeds to keep looking behind him as he slowly leaves. 

I expected a cute Indie movie about existential angst and feeling directionless/unmotivated in a capitalist world, but I just got a stroppy, unfunny dude who I'm pretty sure isn't even liked by his flatmate. If this was a short skit this could have worked, but since it's dragged out to be a film it's too long for what it actually is. 

2/10


Comments