Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

 

Genre: Action/ Sci-fi

Time: 2h 10mins

Director: Jon Watts

Quick Summary: Peter Parker, the beloved superhero Spider-Man, faces four destructive elemental monsters while on holiday in Europe. Soon, he receives help from Mysterio, a fellow hero with mysterious origins.

I forgot how good this is

The beginning made me a little nervous since the Spidey suit was painfully CGI, and it felt a bit too cutesy to be a Superhero film. But then when it really got into it, I got into it. We get to see what life is like for some people after the return of the blip, and how everyone is trying to return back to normal life. We see first-hand footage of students returning and we hear how it’s affected relationships and the lives of those left behind. 

I was really impressed by Jake Gyllenhaal in this movie. His talent really brought a lot to this sequel, and his portrayal of Quentin Beck has solidified him as one of the best villains in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He’s a villain born from a hero's mistakes, a hero's mistreatment of his employees and those around him. Since I had basically forgotten this film, I had also forgotten the twist. I'm so glad I had as because I never saw it coming; I audibly gasped in the cinema. The dynamic between him and Parker honestly broke my heart since this comes after the death of Tony Stark, and Peter begins to look up to him like he did Tony. Peter is still young, still growing into his superhero role and feels that he cannot be the hero the world needs him to be just yet; so Quentin seems to be the right person to him.


Zendaya, I found to be much more likeable this time, mainly because she actually had some screen time and more than a few lines of dialogue. The romance between her and Peter is so much better than the Sam Rami one. Though anything is better than that brick wall. There's humour between them, and teenage awkwardness that always makes the romance so much more cute to me. Also, Ned's little short romance was both hilarious and so cringe to watch it physically hurt to hear them call each other babe, her being possessive and clingy in a bad way. It just reminded me of those really awkward relationships in high school where they were together just because. 

Hands down, some of my favourite action scenes from all the Spiderman films. There were multiple times I was holding my breath during a battle, not sure who was going to win. Everything was so hectic yet fluid as it followed Peter swinging around whilst trying to figure out his next move. The scenes with Mysterio and his illusions were the main highlight of these. Spiderman has to fight his way out of the illusion and to his enemy, and the way he ends up doing it is so visually impressive. I don't care that it's CGI either here because it's good CGI. 

I do feel a lot for this Peter Parker as no matter what he does, he ends up failing it seems like. The poor guy tries to have a holiday, but unfortunately, Superheroes can't have a break, and the fighting essentially follows him. He has a constant battle between being a Superhero and having a normal teenage life, trying to get with the girl he likes and spending time with his friends. You can see the exhaustion and mental drain on him, especially after yet again he messes up without meaning to.

This is one of my favourites of the entire Spiderman collection as it does so many things so well. Even the end credit was something I never saw coming.

10/10


"Quentin Beck: Don't ever apologize for being the smartest one in the room."


"Peter Parker: I'm just your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man.
Nick Fury: Bitch, please! You've been to space."


"It's easy to fool people when they're already fooling themselves."

Comments

  1. Should watch some of Jakes movies they're really good, i miss Garfields spider ass

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment