Trolls Band Together (2023)

 

Genre: Family/ Adventure

Time: 1h 32mins

Director: Walt Dohrn

Quick Summary: Poppy discovers that Branch was once part of the boy band 'BroZone' with his brothers, Floyd, John Dory, Spruce and Clay. When Floyd is kidnapped, Branch and Poppy embark on a journey to reunite his two other brothers and rescue Floyd.


This was hyped up way too much.


Honestly, they have just gone so far from what Trolls was like the first time and I am sad about it. Everything has just been watered down from film to film so we get the basic aspects of what there was. It's no longer fun, just feels cheesy and annoying as they cram in so many boy band and music jokes. I also found it a little odd the sheer amount of drug jokes that were in this film made for kids. 

Everything is so disjointed and struggle to connect as we're thrown through a whirlwind of meeting new trolls, doing something to convince them to join and then moving on to the next. This is pretty much most of the film until the last 30 to 20 minutes where we actually get interaction with the villains. Who honestly was pretty weak, I couldn't really care about them. 

I mean they looked cool and reminded me of those La-La-Loopsey dolls with how noodly their arms were. But aside from that, they were really meh. The same goes for the sudden family member that is randomly introduced. It feels so random to be added in.

One thing which even still now I'm not sure about is those strange puppet-looking things. It fell into the uncanny valley where they looked too realistic but obviously done with a blender so they were animated, but they looked just strange and off. I think I liked them, but they also scared me.

I have no comments about the music. It gets worse every time and I want to die each time. But at least there's no James Corden in this one.

Just stick to the first one. 

4/10


"Branch, we're out of sync. We've gone from boys to men, and now there's only one direction for us to go: the back streets."

Comments