Drive-Away Dolls (2024)

 

Genre: Comedy

Time: 1h 25mins

Director: Ethan Coen

Quick Summary: Jamie regrets her breakup with her girlfriend, while Marian needs to relax. In search of a fresh start, they embark on an unexpected road trip to Tallahassee. Things quickly go awry when they cross paths with a group of inept criminals.


Not me excitedly shouting tiddies every five minutes.

I'll admit, I had higher expectations going into this film, but I wasn't entirely disappointed. I had a lot of fun watching this one; I haven't laughed so much at a film in a while. Purely because the events were just so out there. It genuinely felt like one big skit that just kept getting added onto. It's a stripped-back, simple but dirty, buddy comedy who are lesbians.

It has one of the most common buddy combos too, Jaimie who is loud, flirty, over-the-top, unapologetic, and straight-up hilarious.; and Marian who is the more quiet, reserved, level-headed of the two who is stuck with her. They don't quite bounce off each other, so there isn't any pinballing of jokes, but the dynamic itself is pretty funny. The actress who played Jamie really carried this, the other honestly it wouldn't have changed much if she wasn't in it. I'm not sure if this was because most of the jokey dialogue was given to Jamie, or because Marian as a character was bland. Neither of them was a bad actress at all, just one outshone the other by a lot.

While I was laughing at this a lot, I did happen to notice there wasn't much to it aside from funny moments. There wasn't too much to the actual story. Sure this didn't need to have a super convoluted and detailed storyline going into everyone's backstory, but there were some things I wanted to know more about. Like the ex-girlfriend of Marian, or how the original guy came to get the briefcase, or even what happened to poor Curlie. This leaves a lot out to make room for outrageous and sexual jokes sadly. 

Also, there were these really strange transitions that looked like they were ripped from PowerPoint. You know the ones where the screen would flip, or slowly disintegrate into squares. It really cheapened the quality of the film for me. I wouldn't have minded one or even two, but after the fourth one, I was fed up with them. This is a bit of a weird complaint, but I don't think anyone knew what a female orgasm sounded like either. 

Gladly this is short and doesn't overstay its welcome. Any longer and this would have really dragged.  It's a fun time, I'm sad to read that a lot of people dislike this. Obviously, it's not amazing and not really up to the same quality as other Coen films but lives a little. Not everything needs to be the best film ever.

7/10


"Sukie: That is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And I'm a cop."

Comments