The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island (1997)

 

Genre: Family/ Adventure

Time: 1h 14mins

Director: Charles Grosvenor

Quick Summary: Littlefoot and his friends and the gang in their next when a swarm of leaf gobblers destroys their homes and this forces them to find a new home but yet find a mysterious island.


★。\|/。★

★⋆  HAPPY 500TH REVIEW  ⋆ ★

★。/|\。★


Please make the singing stop Jesus Christ.

I find it hilarious how stupid these adults are. They are constantly unaware of the whereabouts of their kids, and just aimlessly stand there looking for them. In fact, they walk past them several times throughout this. I'm surprised these kids haven't died yet because of the negligence. Cera's father has reverted back to being a racist dictator, saying the longnecks would eat all the food they had scrapped together, or the spiketails would. So because of this they should all separate and go find food elsewhere. What is it with all the Dino Racism? 

Somehow, the art and animation got worse. There is even a downgrade in the background art which was sad to see, but I can't imagine they got any budget after the last couple of films. I don't know how they even made it past two films, let alone got to fourteen. There are multiple moments I noticed they didn't even bother cleaning up cells where they coloured over the lines

The kids decide yet again, it's their job to fix the issue and find food, which ends up with them being trapped on an island with Carnivores. To me, it's pretty funny to think of kids watching this and learning that if they run off they'd be trapped with things that could eat them, but really it's to try and teach them they might be in danger. Not as funny though. But this actually has the return of Chomper to my delight! I was so happy to see that guy and learn that he could speak really well. Honestly, I could quite happily watch a film with just this guy, he is so adorable as he tries to keep it secret he likes to eat leaves from his parents. 

I would say the songs were terrible, but I don't remember any, so they probably were terrible and pushed them out of my memory. They seem to get worse and worse with each film.

Admittedly, there were a few scenes I liked from this. Chomper gathering food he thinks his friends would like; a pretty brutal fight between two Carnivores which has blood to my surprise; and a scene involving a shark stalking the group as they try to swim back to the mainland. For once, I think I can say this one has one solid plot. No sub-stories or characters are randomly introduced just to keep it moving. Honestly, I was so glad this was so simple and easy to follow.

Cera is yet again the root of the cause when the group starts arguing, some trusting Chomper and the others think Chomper just wants to eat them. She starts verbally abusing the poor guy and acting as his he's going to bite her very second in very overly dramatic ways. Honestly, I have no idea why Littlefoot chooses to hang out with her. The others are just there for comedic relief, and or to be the reason something wrong happens. Aside from Spike, he did his usual of eating and being there.

I'm not sure if my brain was becoming mush from the previous films back to back, but I ended up really enjoying this one. I would actually happily rewatch this one.


6/10


"Chomper: [about his parents] I'm sure they'll like you.

Cera: How? Rare, medium, or well done?"


"Cera's Father: My daughter is gone, and I blame that boy of yours!

Grandpa: Littlefoot? Why?

Cera's Father: Because. I need someone to blame."


"Littlefoot: So, you like it here?

Chomper: It's okay. There's not much food.

Cera: Till now!"

Comments