Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002)

 

Genre: Comedy/ Sci-Fi

Time: 1h 38mins

Director: Jay Roach

Quick Summary: Upon learning that his father has been kidnapped, Austin Powers must travel to 1975 and defeat the aptly named villain Goldmember, who is working with Dr. Evil.


I'm still sad we never got to see a full-blown evil Scott.

I am equally as shocked to see that Beyoncé acted in this. Never in a million years would I have guessed she did something like this and she kills it. She isn't really that funny but as a serious actor, it worked, balancing the silly things Austin would get up to.

Admittedly this one feels like kicking a dying horse, it's just not as good as the others. The jokes didn't feel quite right, while they were funny they just weren't as outrageous or over the top. It feels like they tried to play it more safe with what they joked about which is why I think this one has the most slapstick out of the three. That isn't a complaint either because we get quite a few scenes where Mini-Me is beaten the hell out of (poor thing). 

There isn't really a storyline in this one, it's kind of all over the place. I mean there are twists put in purely for laughs. Mostly this is made up of cameos, recycled jokes, references to the first and second (like how long it took Austin to pee after being thawed), and some fresh jokes that I still quote like the mole joke, and Mini-Me being punted for 3 minutes straight. Also, there were a lot of jokes this time around that I didn't understand, like preparation H (A haemorrhoid cream), which I think dragged this down a lot. 

Still, this is a good way to end a series and I'm so glad they stopped here. Anymore and I think it would have been too much. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch this one unless I felt like watching all three. 

6/10


"Austin Powers: Your spy car's a Mini?

Nigel Powers: It's not the size mate, it's how you use it.

Comments

  1. I always expected a 4th movie with Scott taking the role of No.1 Bad Guy.
    Alas, it never happened... jesus seeing the release date for this makes me feel old xD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment