Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

 

Genre: Action/ Fantasy

Time: 2h 31mins

Director: Patty Jenkins

Quick Summary: Diana must contend with a colleague, and with a businessman whose desire for extreme wealth sends the world down a path of destruction after an ancient artifact that grants wishes goes missing.


Those slow-motion scenes were disgusting.

I feel disappointed by this as this wasn't horrible (I actually stayed awake the whole way through which is a first for a DC film). Genuinely I was interested in what was going on and followed everything easily. How this falls flat is because the villains are just plain dull, and come across as a little comical more than anything. I mean, a woman who basically turns into a humanoid cat because she wants power? Sure. 

Really, this could have been an old storyline for the original TV series. When you really looked at it, it was very simple and jumped from one thing to the next, all while somehow managing to stretch itself to be a runtime of two hours and thirty minutes. This was thirty minutes too long honestly. 

Pedro Pascal, I was very unsure of at first. He felt cheesy, and wrong like he was overdoing everything. The accent he chose was all over the place, and I'm still not sure what it was supposed to be. I actually found that by the end of this, I was super invested in the storyline between him and his son, which made me shed a tear or two. It was honestly very sweet and touching. Considering how cheesy the rest of the story is, it was pleasant to see something so mature.

Kristen Wiig was a difficult one for me. I adored her in the first half, being clumsy and awkward. She was a nice connection for Diana since she never looked down on her and treated her like an equal. I think I'm still mad that they dangled a cute lesbian relationship material in front of us and then ripped it away. I understand she was fed up with being overlooked and stood on, but her thirst for power ended up being pretty ridiculous in the end.

Nothing seemed to flow smoothly. Everything felt so crammed in and disjointed like there was no build-up to anything or connection from one scene to the next. I wonder if they pulled random prompts out of a hand and went with it. We get a random dress-up montage, which I assume is supposed to be a reference to the first one; super gross and uncomfortable slow-motion scenes that look horrendous; the invisible jet being just thrown in; and Pedro just seems to do whatever. 

Admittedly I didn't mind the action scenes as they're mainly what kept my interest. However, as far as action scenes go, I have seen better. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Chris Pine experience the 80's and would have happily watched it if it was just that all the way through. 

Honestly, I don't mind this at all. It's one of the most average superhero films I have seen, but it is watchable. 


5/10


"Max Lord: Consider the sex tape gone"

Comments