T.I.M. (2023)

 

Genre: Sci-Fi/ Thriller

Time: 1h 41mins

Director: Spencer Brown

Quick Summary: Prosthetics engineer Abi moves to the countryside to work on Integrate Robotic's latest product - a humanoid artificial intelligence called T.I.M. - Technologically. Integrated. Manservant.


I probably enjoyed this more than I should have.

While this isn't amazing and super predictable, there was something about it being this way that made me enjoy it. It was so simple, and such an easy watch. I wasn't bored at all, though I did feel like it was 15 minutes maybe too long at the end.

Eamon Farren was pretty good I'll admit as an android, he gave the right amount of unsettling behaviour that an android would probably give in this situation. Definitely fell into the uncanny valley. The other actors did their best. I'm not sure if they didn't do so well because of this strange thing this film decided to do where it looked like their voices were dubbed over most of the time as it would look like their mouths didn't quite match up or their body language to their tone.  

I liked a lot of the psychological elements of this, like "TIM" gaslighting the couple through various ways to drive them apart, even going so far as to forge phone calls and photos. Really highlights how sentient AI can be, and how powerful they could potentially be if we allow them access to everything.  

There are a few moments where it dabbles outside the box which honestly I was impressed with, like this woman tries to drive through a window that was previously stated to be bulletproof glass. I assumed it was going to smash, as if I had forgotten it was bulletproof, and then to my amusement, the car stopped dead against it. Or when a forged phone call is being made, I assumed the caller on the other end was going to be able to hear the victim, but then it was stated there was a background noise damper. 

For how predictable this became, especially in the end, I did really enjoy this. It was simple and had room to breathe. I'll be looking out for more from this director, and suggest you'd give this a chance when you can. 

5/10

Comments