The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

 

Genre: Superhero/ Sci-fi

Time: 2h 16mins

Director: Marc Webb

Quick Summary: After Peter Parker is bitten by a genetically altered spider, he gains newfound, spider-like powers and ventures out to save the city from the machinations of a mysterious reptilian foe.


I feel sorry for the kids whose introduction to Spiderman was this.

As the film started and tried to give us a backstory that Peter's parents were scientists, I knew I wasn't in for a good time when they then completely brushed over everything and explained zero of the backstory. I mean, we have around 20 minutes of the film talking about them in the beginning and then nothing. Also, how Peter gets his Spidery powers felt ridiculous to me because a building like that would have a lot more security when it comes to getting in, let alone where top-secret studies are happening.

His powers I was unsure of too. Sure, they were more spider-like, but it looked like he was coming down from a hard drug in the beginning; sweating and frantically looking around. But that said, Peter being unable to control his sticky fingers and strength was funny to watch, though I would have liked to see the conversation between him and Aunt May about the damage. 

Maybe I'm too old, but I couldn't see Andrew Garfield as a teenager let alone a nerdy awkward teenager. He comes across as too preppy and cool to start with, so when the transformation happened it seemed like not too much had changed. The dude is always taking off his mask too. However, I could see the teenager mannerisms come out when he was first trying out his spidey powers and you could see all the fun he was having. All the tension between him and Uncle Ben I strongly disliked, as Uncle Ben is supposed to be a calm and understanding person and here he is yelling at Peter.

I have complained a bit about this, I know, really this isn't terrible. It's just not great. It just has no heart to it, no drive. Everything in this story is so by the numbers that you can see every plot turn a mile away. That would be fine, even somewhat forgivable, if this movie was fun but it isn't even that. I usually love Emma Stone in whatever film she's in, but this time we really bland to my surprise. She was definitely better than Mary-Jane and would watch her anytime over that dull brick wall, but her relationship with Spiderman/Peter just seemed to suddenly happen. There wasn't any development or slow burn that this relationship needs. Hey, I'm Spiderman you know? Omg, lemme kiss you. That's pretty much how it goes. 

When it came to the villain, I didn't mind it. I thought it was a nice generic classic villain that didn't seem overpowered. The CGI on him didn't look great, but I can excuse it as the guy was a giant lizard, they did their best. But, I do wish we had maybe one more fight seen with Spidey and the Lizard, as we only really get two big ones and one of them is the end fight. Also, I think more backstories or "flashbacks" were needed for Dr Conner as you can obviously tell something is up behind the scenes but again it just brushes past it.

Bland and boring for a Spiderman film, and as a Spiderman Fan it was disappointing to watch after loving the Sam Rami films. At least Andrew is a little bit funny.


4/10


"Car Thief: Who are you? Are you a cop?

Spider-Man: Really? You seriously think I'm a cop? Cop in a skin-tight red and blue suit?"


"Peter Parker: [eating meat loaf from the fridge exhausted] This beats all of the meat loafs.

May Parker: Something is very wrong.

Ben Parker: Yeah. Nobody likes your meat loaf."


Comments