Alien: Romulus (2024)

 


Genre: Horror/ Sci-fi

Time: 2 hours

Director: Fede Álvarez

Quick Summary: While scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station, a group of young space colonists come face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe.


I feel sick.

Honestly, I am a little disappointed. While this is still a very solid entry in the Alien franchise, it feels a little bit lazy in some places. I'm all for easter eggs and callbacks to the previous films, In fact, I usually really enjoy them as they are fun and good things for the long-term fans to spot the more obscure ones; except these felt directly ripped from the other films just to pad it out. There are many lines reused, which are fun I enjoyed those and they worked in the moment. But then we have near-identical shots of the Xenomorph being close to our main girl like the ionic shot from Alien 3; the pulse rifle being taught the same way as Aliens; the alien baby that looks similar to the one from Alien Resurrection which actually ends up dying in a very similar way; (<Highlight for the spoiler); and a few others I won't mention. There were just too many added in for my personal taste because it just feels like a rehash of everything that people enjoyed from the old ones in hopes they would enjoy this one because of that.

Now that is out of the way. There is a unique story under all of that which I somewhat enjoyed. It's simple, get out and away from the Xenomorphs. Since there aren't really any surprises or twists the suspension comes mainly from trying to escape the Aliens or getting through some sort of dangerous area. These are good scenes don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed them. Throughout all of this too is the use of a zero gravity mechanic which turns off every so often making for some really tense moments. One moment I loved watching was two characters having to get through a minefield of acid floating in the air before Zero Gravity turns back on.

The two lead actors were pretty good, the rest rather forgettable. I didn't think too much of Rain by herself, but when she was with Andy it was a big improvement. I'm not sure if she found it more comfortable to act next to someone, but I could see a difference. But I did like it felt more like the first Alien when Ripley was scared, claustrophobic, and panicked while trying to find a way out through Rain. As for Andy, he ends up being the more interesting (and better) character. The way he changes a quarter of the way into the film is so thrilling, and I loved seeing the things an Android can do when the limitations have been taken away. The rest, are pretty much cardboard cut-outs- especially Bjorn, a needlessly aggressive guy whose character's personality was an asshole.

As for the Xenomorphs themselves, Jesus Christ. I really didn't need to be put off having birth TWICE. Both of these scenes were horrific to watch, but man they were interesting too. Watching the whole process of going from a chest-burster (which I was a little disappointed by how little oomph it had when you know bursting out of the chest); to a face-hugger with a disgusting egg depositing tube waving around; to eventually the Xenomorph as we know it. 

Then there is the end creature which I will only talk about briefly but what the fuck. I have never been so traumatised to witness something, and I saw Men in the cinema. Genuinely I was sat there in pure terror at it. Nightmare fuel at its finest. 

Anyway, going back to earlier, I am disappointed by this. There were many things to love about things but equally hate, though some of the hating is a personal taste of mine but I can't excuse lazy writing. Still, I would watch this again while going through the Alien films again. 


7/10

Comments

Post a Comment