Double Blind (2023)

 

Genre: Horror/ Thriller

Time: 1h 30mins

Director: Ian Hunt-Duffy

Quick Summary: After an experimental drug trial goes awry, the test subjects face a terrifying side effect: if you fall asleep you die. Trapped in an isolated facility, panic ensues as they try to escape and somehow stay awake.


Did that lady really think she was not going to be impaled by that door?

Mostly I was bored by this and was just watching it to see the end, and also it was short enough I didn't feel like I'd be wasting much time. It has an interesting premise but I don't think enough writing went into the characters because I really didn't care when any of them died. I just sort of went oh.

It had plenty of set-ups, it didn't even need that much setup, I would have been happy to watch a drug experiment gone wrong and they all hallucinate. I'm actually glad they didn't go into what the drug was. This just bumbles around and pads out the film for 30 minutes so you have the illusion that the plot is moving forward, but really it's just people trying not to fall asleep and being suspicious of everyone. 

As for the kills. Meh. The first one was surprising I'll give them that, but I was incredibly distracted by the really fake-looking CGI for all the blood. The rest, you'd see them hallucinate and then you see that they're actually dead. Now, I'm not a doctor so I have no idea if this actually happens, but it feels a little overdramatic that when their brains shut down, there was literally blood pouring out of every hole (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, I assume the rest), and they would violently shake like they were having a fit. 

The ending felt pretty cheap and short too. Almost as if they had a basic idea of "You can't sleep or you'll die" and thought of absolutely nothing else. It had potential, I didn't mind the main actress either but she wasn't all that outstanding. Much like this film.


4/10

Comments