Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

 

Genre: Action/ Comedy

Time: 2h 7mins

Director: Shawn Levy

Quick Summary: Deadpool is offered a place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by the Time Variance Authority, but instead recruits a variant of Wolverine to save his universe from extinction.


I'm not crying you're crying.

I expected nothing less from Deadpool, only to be extra, over the top, and just fun. I was worried this film was going to be chock full of cameos or references to other films every 5 seconds, which it was. Still, it actually managed to do it in good taste whilst having an epic and emotional storyline going on. It's true to the characters and really a homage to everything that came before this.

The humour has changed a bit, though there is still the classic Deadpool with sexual innuendos; crotch shots; fourth wall jokes; and all the usual obnoxious silly stuff. But, it did feel a bit toned down in some cases, which is more than likely because of Disney, but I wouldn't say it's ruined it at all. I actually liked it that way because it made so much room for a (semi) serious storyline. It was honestly really refreshing to see more of an emotional depth to Deadpool and lower the Class Clown persona for a little while. Though that said there were a few story elements that didn't really make sense, like the whole Venessa part. It just didn't seem right what happened, and then we barely got any explanation, which was probably because of Disney again but also probably so it could focus on everything else.

Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds are a perfect pair, their chemistry is brilliant. Constantly bickering or fighting, they're bouncing witty one-liners or jokes between them. A wonderful bromance. When they fight either against or together it makes for some really, really creative scenes, where adamantium swords and claws create such a bloody and chaotic mayhem that's so thrilling to watch. While Ryan is high energy with lots of word vomit at times, Hugh is the perfect balance to bring him down into seriousness. There is one scene where Wolverine hits pretty deep with words and honestly I don't think anyone but Hugh could have done that so well.

Admittedly I was already a little tired of the whole variant thing, so when it started throwing out the multiple variants of Deadpool I groaned. It's really overdone at this point and even though the fight scene was really fun to watch, I didn't care for anything else to do with them. I am glad they even poked fun at it during the film. 

I do wish we got more with the villain, as they were actually terrifying. I needed more from them, I wanted to know what happened. We get the bare bones for it, which is fine but I hope we get to see more of them in later films. The whole thing with their hands was so creepy and pretty well done with the CGI, I'm not sure I'd like the feeling of it too. 

How can I not comment on the music choices? Even though they're classics everyone is bound to know, they were gold for when they were used. "Bye-bye-Bye" by NSYNC for the opening with Deadpool recreating the dance whilst fighting off multiple people using the help of an old friend (*wink*); "Lady in red" as the most disgusting dog I have ever seen runs towards us; "You're the one I want" from Grease as Deadpool and Wolverine fight it out; and many many more epic moments. This plus a brilliant original score, it's perfection. 

There are a few things I cannot comment on because of massive spoilers, but as a massive fan of Marvel and the comic books there were a lot of things to enjoy, and not just easter eggs. It's nerd heaven, full of nostalgia hits that may or may not have made me almost cry. I am excited for more films after this, good or bad.


9/10


"Elliot Chipman: That's Deadpool.

Kevin Chipman: That's Wolverine.

Deadpool: You damn straight it is. Fox killed him. Disney brought him back. They're gonna make him do this til he's 90."


"Who is your accent coach? The Minions?"


"Mr. Paradox: Mr Wilson, you appear to have soiled yourself while unconscious.

Wade Wilson: I wasn't unconscious."


"Woo, I'mabouttomakeanameformyselfhere."

(^that's what it sounds like^)




Comments

Post a Comment