It Chapter Two (2019)

 

Genre: Horror/ Thriller

Time: 2h 49mins

Director: Andrés Muschietti

Quick Summary: Twenty-seven years after their first encounter with the terrifying Pennywise, the Losers Club have grown up and moved away, until a devastating phone call brings them back.


Through the power of friendship, they made a terrible ending

It's safe to say I was pretty disappointed after watching this considering I enjoyed the first one. I knew immediately I was in for a bumpy ride when the opening was poorly done. It didn't grip me as much as the first did. 

Pennywise is still creepy as hell but I actually did find him more funny this time. It was just how much his whole body would just shake and they'd treat that as a jumpscare. That and his head would just bobble around when he was talking. I was a bit hit-and-miss with his jumpscares too, mostly faulted because of the downgrade in CGI Which made him look silly more than anything. The other issue I had with the jumpscares is they were incredibly predictable. The formula would go, pan to something obviously being set up for jumpscare, pan back to the kid or adult, pan back to thing with the jumpscare. 

I am impressed though at how well they did the casting for the adults. Surprisingly they actually look like the kids. That said that was really the only good thing about them. Ritchie was still absolutely hilarious and I still say I am that adult spousing random stuff and jokes. But really they weren't that interesting, probably because they focused more on the kid version of them. The weird plot line of them all needing to get their “tokens” really dragged out the film, I had no interest in it and felt really dumb.

Bowers is boring as hell. I don't think he's even needed. Literally just used for three jump scares and nothing else. There was zero character development for him aside from murder. At least that was more than what the loser's group had. But I did find the addition of the kid that Bill basically ends up stalking. This kid is so chill with what's going on around him, it's hilarious.

Moving onto the terrible ending. I meant it by using the power of friendship and literally bullying this otherworldly entity they defeated him. They bullied it until it became this sad blob. The final form before this too is really strange, a clown head on a spider which again felt more silly than scary. I think this is also way too long, it takes forever for anything to happen and then flops. For how long this is anyway, it just adds unnecessary runtime. 

This just isn't up to the same standard as the first film, it had its gross moments with the jumpscares like when Eddie was puked on but they were a little underwhelming. I'd only watch this if A) I was showing someone these films for the first time and B) I wanted to see the clown for shits and giggles. It's pretty dumb and ruins the first film a little bit for me, but at least that felt like it had a conclusion. 


6/10


"Eddie Kaspbrak: [to Henry Bowers] You should cut that fucking mullet. It's been, like, thirty years, man."


Comments