The Uninvited (2009)

 

Genre: Horror/ Mystery 

Time: 1h 27mins

Directors: Thomas Guard, Charles Guard

Quick Summary: Anna returns home after a stint in a mental hospital, but her recovery is jeopardized by her father's new girlfriend and ghastly visions of her dead mother.


This was fun, but underwhelming really.

I found it really distracting how the main girl speaks in this sort of breathy way and trails off almost every sentence. It's not like she couldn't act; she honestly acted really well, just a strange way of speaking, like everything was incredibly dramatic. That said, I don't think anyone was an awful actor in this either considering the ending; just the characters sucked. Basically all of them had really strange motivations for why they did or were doing things, which never really got explained.

As for the plot, it can't decide whether it wants to be a psychological thriller with a serial killer or a horror movie with an unidentified supernatural force being used to take revenge. It teases both these ideas on and off throughout, which is fun, but I wish this was a bit more clear as we only really find out the truth with a twist ending. Which admittedly was pretty clever, but since it's now 15 years later, the twist has been really overdone. 

Honestly, don't expect much. It's your typical 2000's horror film full of terrible jumpscares and gore targeted towards young teens (barely any). I'm glad this was short, as even though I was interested in what was going on, I'm not sure if I would have been able to get through more than an hour and a half. I didn't hate it, just sadly pretty average compared to a lot of other 2000's horror films. I'd suggest you watch the original Korean film (Click me!)


4/10

Comments