Shazam! (2019)

 

Genre: Action/ Comedy

Time: 2h 12mins

Director: David F. Sandberg

Quick Summary: A newly fostered young boy in search of his mother instead finds unexpected superpowers and soon gains a powerful enemy.


Who knew DC could actually make a good film. 

It's good to just have fun with a film sometimes, and this is it. It is so fun and silly, it's brilliant. It knows exactly how to introduce a new character too, as it manages to smoothly introduce our villain and his backstory AS well as our hero, backstory and all. It kept me entertained throughout and I remained interested for the entire time. I didn't think DC had it in them. 

The story is simple yeah, but who cares. I'm tired of DC trying to be super serious and missing the mark by a whole planet. This manages to poke fun at everything that is usually a joke within these films and it works so well. There's slapstick and honestly pretty goofy/childish humour that doesn't get annoying. The written jokes are also pretty childish but they made me laugh!

This film is predictable though which is supposed what you get from a film being so simple. You can see whats going to happen immediately. Because of this, I feel like this film lacks that big "wow" factor. I wasn't blown away by this film, I just simply enjoyed it.

Something I find kinda sweet about this is how it talks about family doesn't have to be people you're related too, it can be one you're found or made with other people. A lot of the problem solving for the crises revolves around the help of family and that you don't need to do things on your own. Though because of this I felt like the end fight was bit of a cop out and also didn't have that "wow" factor. 

Freddie is a character I absolutely adored though. He was hilarious and so unhinged with the random stuff he'd come out with and he just made the film that little extra more enjoyable.

This is a fun and simple film. I don't hate it. Don't get me wrong it has some flaws but they're only small. Also I'm so glad there was no random romance plot. Not all superhero films need them.


9/10


"Rosa Vasquez: Please don't say anything weird to Billy.

Freddy Freeman: You mean like how the Romans used to brush their teeth with their own urine?"


"The Wizard: Lay your hands on my staff.

Billy Batson: Gross"

Comments