Basket Case 3: The Progeny (1991)

 

Genre: Horror/ Comedy

Time: 1h 30mins

Director: Frank Henenlotter

Quick Summary: Duane recovers from his delusional breakdown to find his freakish basket-bound brother Belial will soon become a father. But not everything is joyous as the once tight-knit brothers no longer seem to trust each other.


I kept progressively saying oh my god louder each time a baby popped out.

This continues in much the same way as the second film, with loads of twisted humour, some very silly freaks, and plenty of truly demented scenes, including a terrific musical number from Granny Ruth and her 'unique individuals', the birth of twelve mutant babies and various other moments. 

I did notice the focus was less on the two brothers and more on the various freaks and their silly antics. Which I didn't mind, it was just sad to not see the pair that much. We do get to witness this horrific birthing scene which was honestly so gross as multiple flesh gremlins kept coming out of this flesh mound. 

To be honest, there isn't much difference between the last film and this one, so it is hard to describe this. Duane is still nuts and falls in love with the first woman he sees, who funnily enough ends up being more nuts than he is, Belial is barely in this one besides the ending which I will speak about in a moment, and the whole story feels a little wacky. Though I did love the introduction of Little Hal who was honestly hilarious to me, I don't think they even gave him a script they just let him react to things and went with it.

The only bonus this has over the last one is that the gore is back. It's nowhere as good or as over the top as the original, but it was nice to see Belial rip a face-off or two. As well, even though it was very sad to witness, it was hilarious when someone accidentally sat on one of the flesh spawns and squashed it like a grape. 

As for the ending and the final film, I didn't hate it. I actually felt satisfied. I won't go into it completely but Belial gets an epic upgrade which leads to a pretty fun brawl, as Duane runs around in the background. 

While this isn't as good as the first, this is still solid and well worth watching after the first two as it is equally as nuts. A brilliant ending for a brilliant film trilogy too. I highly recommend these films. 

7/10


"Granny Ruth: Oh Cedric, I see you've brought your lettuce!"

Comments

  1. You know someone is more messed up than you when they have a freaky power play complex fetish

    ReplyDelete
  2. These movies remind me of Peter Jacksons Brain Dead (akaDead Alive.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment