Hop (2011)

 

Genre: Family/ Comedy

Time: 1h 35mins

Director: Tim Hill

Quick Summary: E.B., the Easter Bunny's teenage son, heads to Hollywood, determined to become a drummer in a rock 'n' roll band. In LA, he's taken in by Fred after the out-of-work slacker hits E.B. with his car.

"Any baggage? Just emotional"

Same E.B. Same


This is another film I am not too sure about. I enjoyed some of it at the moment, but I really don't remember this too well. I will admit, that the Animation for the bunny is incredible considering most of the time it's with real-life people. It was really well done and I did believe that this was a real talking bunny (for the suspension of belief). Though, it isn't really a new thing as I believe there have been plenty of talking animal films before this. 

I think most of the laughs that this film got out of me were because of Russle brand's jokes and the silly little moments, that are very obviously directed towards kids. But I'm a kid at heart, so let me enjoy them. But then sometimes I would cringe at some of the moments that happen in this as they came off as really annoying and I would love to deck that bunny. 

Another issue is that this is trying to teach kids to follow their dreams no matter what, but then the Bunny doesn't actually follow his dream in the end which felt a little backwards to me. Also, one of the character's decisions doesn't really fit too well and I just think they slapped it together because easter theme. I mean, the guy is a lazy, no-care type of guy. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to work hard for long. Sure, the montage of him trying to get better at easter stuff is cute and fun, but I don't believe it for one second.

The villain in this was not needed in my opinion. I feel like it's just something they added to pad out the film and have something to keep the story going. Without it, this could have been a really charming and heartwarming easter tale, and the stuff to do with the villain really distracts from that.

Complaints aside, this is still watchable I believe. I'd really recommend this for young kids as a lot goes on on this and it is constantly hopping from one thing to another (pun intended), so their attention will be constantly grabbed, as well there are a lot of bright colours to keep them focused. 

4/10

Comments

  1. "Hey we need someone who works well with CGI for the Sonic movie... hey, what are you watching?"
    is how I imagine it went down.

    Very odd idea for a story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment