Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)


Genre: Family/ Fantasy 

Time: 1h 55mins

Director: Tim Burton

Quick Summary: Charlie, a young boy from an impoverished family, and four other kids win a tour of an amazing chocolate factory run by an imaginative chocolatier, Willy Wonka, and his staff of Oompa-Loompas.


Now this is my favourite version. You thought the first one was unhinged well this one is insane.

Now, Johnny Depp is not my favourite as I have already stated, but boy is he nutty. He is much more strange and weird, and this time has a bit of silliness to him. This time he doesn't feel insane, just lost a few marbles and is naturally odd. Though I do want to shave that ugly haircut. Something that was added this time around was that he had a backstory which I feel was a little bit unnecessary. We don't need this weirdo explained, especially with such a forced predictable backstory. Like wow, the child who was told he couldn't have sweets became obsessed with them.

Charlie, I have no complaints as honestly he hasn't changed. He's still such a sweet and innocent boy. But this time he really drives home the family side of things, and the ending is so sweet. Funnily enough, I enjoyed the beginning of this one a lot more, it wasn't as brightly coloured as the later half of the film but it really cemented in what Charlie's life is like. 

It's a shame I didn't like the songs this time and the oompa loompas. They creeped me out with how they looked. Maybe it helped with how unsettling the vibe of this one was but I don't don't know, they looked strange. As for the songs, they were okay. One or two are so iconic to this and go pretty hard when these spoilt brats are being m̶u̶r̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶  taught a very valuable lesson. I guess they weren't as funky as the last ones. 

There is a much bigger budget involved this time and it looks 100% better. Everything looks actually like candy this time, and actually edible, instead of maybe edible plastic. However, I was a bit unsure of the clean aesthetic that the whole place had. The parts with the machinery looked so much cooler and actually like high-tech machines instead of wacky gizmos. Also, the candy that the kids actually eat looks like candy too, and not just random objects. 

As a personal taste, I thought the idea of squirrels sorting nuts was brilliant but the whole event that happens to one of the spoilt children was a bit bland compared to the rest. I think I prefer what happened to that one in the last film. And who could forget the nightmare fuel of the puppet song, I did like that, but I can imagine it terrorised multiple kids. 

Whilst this is much bigger and visually better than the original one, this also has its flaws. They balance each other out and you can't watch one without watching the other. Completely unhinged and a bit more wacky, but so much fun to watch. 

8/10


"Willy Wonka: Everything in this room is eatable, even I'm eatable! But that is called "cannibalism", my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies."


"Willy Wonka: Little girl? Don't touch that squirrel's nuts! It'll make him crazy!"



Comments