Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)

 

Genre: Family/ Musical 

Time: 2h 20mins

Director: Robert Stevenson

Quick Summary: An apprentice witch, three kids, and a cynical magician conman search for the missing component to a magic spell to be used in the defense of Britain in World War II.


I've seen this film so many times growing up, and I know all of the songs. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Honestly, I'm so glad it still holds up that whimsical energy that fills you up with glee. I can understand some of the clever dialogue and the character backgrounds much better now that I'm an adult. The adults chuck witty remarks at each other (in a harmless fun way), and even the kids join in sometimes. Angela Lansbury has her own old-school charm, like the many times she tries to cast a spell and it either doesn't work or doesn't quite work, she brushes it off while still obviously irritated. Her interactions with the kids were also pretty funny, as they have jokes between them that are usually playful or revolve around testing. As per usual with Disney, there is sure to be slapstick involved. It's not there so much during the non-animated scenes but as soon as we get there it's everywhere. I personally don't mind slapstick when it's done right, and usually is done a lot better in animation since it can be exaggerated.

I'll never get tired of watching the animated sequences, they were always the ones I remembered. Visually they look similar to the ones done in Mary Poppins and still have that charming Disney animation that is so pleasing to look at. All the animals were designed really well and none of them looked bland. Out of the two main scenes with this blend, I adored the one during the song "Bobbing Along" because again it's still such an impressive feature, especially for back then. I love all the songs, "Portabello Rd" is my favourite because it goes from such a calming song to something so full of energy as we watch loads of people interact and dance around with each other.

Funnily enough, this is also a story set in World War 2 with Nazis, which always bored me as a kid. That said, the ending which revolves around all this is brilliant and should be talked about more not just from an enjoyment side of things but from a practical sense. Many suits of armour from different eras are brought to life and walk around completely empty. The amount of work that probably went into that is insane when you think about how many suits they had to control. The thing that topped this bit off was Angela kicking those Nazi's ass while on a broom with a tiny Union Jack on the back. 

It's fun, entertaining, and enchanting, and I love that it transports you to such a magical and wondrous world. One of the best fever dream films that I will force my possible future kids to watch. I was constantly quoting whatever the kids were saying with their adorable cockney accents, so that was a bonus.

9/10


Themed food me and my Partner did: 

Toad in the Hole, featuring his love of gravy and Jam Roly-Poly






"Captain Ainsley Greer: I'm not a Nazi, I'm a British officer!

Elderly Farmer: That's what you'd say if you *was* a Nazi, isn't it sir?"


"Paul Rawlins: What's that got to do with my knob?"


"Eglentine Price: You must have given us the wrong address! You don't live *here*, do you?

Mr. Browne: In point of fact I do. Temporarily, at any rate. I found the front door open, the house was deserted! Everyone has left the neighborhood.

Eglentine Price: Now why should they do that?

Mr. Browne: This probably has something to do with it.

[shows them a pit with an unexploded shell in it]"

Comments

  1. Charlie was on a warpath to be the most antagonising ass in Disney movies, all for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment